Nutter Proposes Soda Tax to Close City Schools’ Budget Gap; Was Bin Laden Taken Out With a Pork Bullet?
• Mayor Michael Nutter yesterday gave City Council an ultimatum for closing the School District’s budget gap: Soda tax or increased property taxes. [Inquirer]
• Well, this is perverse: Osama Bin Laden may have been shot with a pork-coated bullet. The bullets supposedly strike fear into Muslim terrorists, who worry about being barred from paradise if they have pork in their bodies. [Daily Mail UK]
• In the tough economy, everyone's fighting over fast-food jobs, which were once mostly relegated to teens. [Atlanta Journal-Constitution]
• Some dude in Santa Monica was busted for selling illegal whale meat to sushi restaurants. Turns out the guy had been at it for ten years. [Squid Ink/LA Weekly]
• If scoop shops seem to be selling more in the way of strange ice-cream flavors, it's probably a ploy to lure customers back for repeat visits. [USAT]
• Some teens in California decided to set the Guinness World Record for pancake-eating by spending 24 hours in a Denny's. Everyone's got ambitions! [NYDN]