McGillin’s might’ve been first in rolling out the barrels in the run-up to Oktoberfest, but Starr’s Frankford Hall isn’t far behind. The Fishtown beer garden has a 16-day planned itinerary lined up for its big Bavarian blowout, which it begins celebrating next week. Of course there’s a ton of beer and beer-related activities in order, as well as a “Nerd Nite,” a street festival, music, and a pig roast to kick the whole thing off. Keep reading to check out the full schedule.
Here's a full rundown on Frankford Hall's Oktoberfest celebrations lifted from a communique sent by reps for Starr.
• Saturday, September 15 and Sunday, September 16: Pig Roast, 12pm-close. A pig roast will kick off the 16-day celebration at Frankford Hall. Also, from 12pm-3pm, Kids Eat Free! Enjoy Frankford Hall favorites like spicy bauernwurst and spätzle with bacon and mushroom while the little ones munch on classic burgers and frankfurters. Kids must be 10-years-old or under for special offer to apply. Face painting and balloon artists will entertain during the Oktoberfest celebration.
• Monday, September 17 through Thursday, September 20: 4pm-close. Enjoy happy hour pricing featuring $5 1/2 liter drafts, $10 liter drafts, $6 warm bavarian pretzel w/any draft beer, and $8 choice of one sausage w/ 1/2 liter of any draft beer.
• Tuesday, September 18: Great Lakes Brewing Company Seasonal Release Party, 7pm-10pm. The environmentally and socially-conscious brewer of award-winning all natural beer will debut its seasonal beer at the release party. All are welcome to join the celebration, mix and mingle with the craft brewery’s brewmasters.
• Wednesday, September 19: Oktoberfest Beer Nerd Nite, 7:30pm. Frankford Hall’s monthly Nerd Nite lecture event strives for an inebriated, salacious, yet deeply academic vibe. Topics often cover science or technology, but the topic tonight is beer! Nerd Nites’ unofficial tag line says it all “It’s like the Discovery Channel- with beer!”
• Thursday, September 20: Yards Brewing Company Seasonal Release Party, 7pm-10pm. Philadelphia’s famous microbrewery will launch its special seasonal beer. Be the first to taste the brewery’s original creation.
• Saturday, September 22: Oktoberfest Street Festival and Ceremonial Keg Tapping, 12pm-close. A day-long street festival will take over Frankford Ave between Girard and Shakamaxon Streets from 12pm-10pm featuring various tents hosted by German breweries including Hofbrau and Spaten/Franziskaner, along with local brewing company Great Lakes Brewing Company. Tents will be decorated inside and out with the breweries’ own unique style, equipped with tables and chairs for festival-goers. Each brewery will supply a beer truck offering 3 of their beers. Frankford Hall will have a food station set up with sausages like bauernwurst and bratwurst, warm bavarian pretzels and rotisserie chicken. The full menu will be offered inside Frankford Hall.
• Additional festival offerings include a family area in the nearby dog park with pony rides, dunk tanks and balloon makers, an Oktoberfest souvenir stand with German hats, beer stein koozies and Frankford Hall t-shirts, GTV Almrausch dancers, and live performances on stage by Alexa Poller and the Ja Ja Jas. A DJ and Band will perform in Frankford Hall’s outdoor garden throughout the day and from 12pm-3pm, Kids Eat Free with their choice of a cheeseburger or hot dog.
• Sunday, September 23: Kids Eat Free! 12pm-3pm. Celebrate Oktoberfest with Sunday Funday for the kids. Satisfy the tikes with a choice of cheeseburger, hot dog or kid-sized portion of buttermilk pancakes with blueberry compote while you indulge in an ice cold Franziskaner Dunkel-Weisse. Kids can also enjoy face painting and a balloon artist. Also, don’t miss on your chance to indulge in the popular Stoudt Oktoberfest, on “special” until it’s gone.
• Monday, September 24: Oktoberfest Ping Pong Tourney, 7pm-9pm. Frankford Hall will host the ultimate ping pong tournament in celebration of Oktoberfest. All are invited to attend to cheer for their favorites and enjoy mini pretzels for $2.
• Wednesday, September 26: Oktoberfest Beer Olympics, 7pm-10pm. Not everyone can bring home an Olympic medal, so take a stab at the Frankford Hall Beer Olympics hosted by the hilarious Eli Shaika. Try your hand at beer stein carrying, can tosses, and many more beer filled challenges to win the title of the Frankford Hall Beer Olympian. With a little luck and a lot of beer, you may be able to bring home the gold, some prizes, and serious bragging rights. Enjoy mini pretzels for $2.
• Thursday, September 27: Festbeer Challenge, 7pm-10pm. Come watch nine breweries duke it out as a panel of judges vote on the Frankford Hall Oktoberfest’s best beer. Beer reps will be on-site to give more information about their brews while guests sample their crafted suds and enjoy mini pretzels for $2. One beer will reign supreme and win a spot on Frankford Hall’s beer tap for the entire year!
• Friday, September 28: Happy Hour, 4pm-7pm. Celebrate the end of the work week with 1/2 liter drafts $5, $10 liter drafts. Indulge your munchies with a $6 warm Bavarian pretzel with any draft beer, or $8 choice of one sausage with a 1/2 liter of any draft beer. Also enjoy mini pretzels for $2.
• Saturday, September 29 and Sunday, September 30: 12pm-3pm. It’s all about the kids. Bring the family out and enjoy a cold brewski. The beer garden will have a face painter and balloon artist so the whole family can enjoy a relaxing afternoon. When tummies start to grumble, kids can order their choice of a cheeseburger, hot dog free or kid-sized portion of buttermilk pancakes with blueberry compote for free!